Wanna Rearrange My Face

Wanna Rearrange My Face

I have always wanted to make this costume and I decided this was the year to do it. There were a couple of things I knew it had to do… It needed to be a full-body size (I didn’t want my head sticking out of the top) and the pieces HAD to be rearrangeable!

I started by making the pieces – Frisbees for the ears, styrofoam for the eyes, nose, mouth, and tongue.

Next, I had to figure out how to make them interchangeable. I decided that I could put a magnet on the end of each item’s post. Then I made wooden tubes with magnets on the back that go inside the costume to secure the pieces from inside the costume.

The actual body was the hardest. I did some research and decided the best thing to do was actually make a pattern from an actual Mr. Potato Head. I wrapped the body up in foil and then duct tape strips over that. Cut off the wrapping along the center and sides. Cut the pattern pieces so they laid flat, then projected them onto the wall so they were big enough to make a full-body sized costume. I traced those patterns onto brown craft paper and used them to cut out the foam pieces. Glued then together to make the potato shape. Cut the holes for the pieces, armholes and the face area so I could see. Plus cut the bottom off so I could get the costume on and off.

After that, I covered the foam in brown faux suede.

I spent so many hours on this, I can’t even calculate. And I don’t even want to think about how much $ I spent on supplies. But it was all worth it in the end.

I’ve seen many costumes in my life, he is by far my favorite!

20191031_125107-1.jpg
23558-0.jpeg

Submitted by: Lisa Mathey

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *